Saturday, September 22, 2012

Getting Oriented?

Hello one and all!
Did you know that there is no tooth fairy here?  Instead they have a tooth mouse, Ratoncito Perez.  Makes a lot more sense to me.
This is the view I regularly wake up to, too bad about the crane...

I have been in Madrid for about two weeks now, and I am quite a bit more settled in.  I have a good idea of what my days look like and I'll give you the lowdown. I did this in Spanish Class yesterday, so I am basking in the ease of English.
One of the many places I can spend my morning.  

Weekdays I wake up, get ready, and take the kids to school at 8:30.  I drive them to school. In a manual car.  In the city.  This is an extremely daunting task for me as I am not very practiced in both driving manual, and driving with lots of traffic.  Nebraska was a bit different.  I am happily down to an average of two stalls a day, but when I began, oy.  I then take the metro to the city center, and read or explore until class at 10:30.  My classes are at the very center of everything, so there is a lot to discover.  I have about an hour of Spanish a day, then after I have some time to wander about, meet up with folks, go to a cafe, until I go back to pick up the boys at 1:30.  We have a two hour break for lunch, etc, then they go back to school for a couple of hours.  I help with their homework, and their English especially. 
Tintin is everywhere!
  Afterward, sometimes I go to the city and meet up with friends, or we play futbol (they are about 10x better than I)  I have the weekends off, and so far I have stayed in Madrid, where there is surely enough to entertain someone for a lifetime, but in the future I hope to travel around Spain.  Madrid is smack dab in the center of Spain,  they planned it that way.  Convenient!










Now let me indulge in telling you about one of the greatest things that the Spanish have contributed to human race.  They are called Chocolate con Churros.  It is yummy fried sweet stuff that you DIP IN thick hot chocolate.  Holy cow. Can it get any better than this?  Chocolate and fried stuff?  Wow.  This is typically a breakfast  treat here, and traditionally they especially eat it on the morning after new years.  Wow. Its amazing and delicious. My mouth waters just thinking about it. The most famous place here to eat chocolate con churros is the San Gines Chocolaterie.  Its only open at night, which will tell you something about the Madrid nightlife, but that's a whole other story.   
















Not to be outdone by the fashionable Nebraska, just a couple of streets away we have Iowa!

2 comments:

  1. are american state names an exotic thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not exotic per say, but a little novel, the abundance of American things here is surprising, most of what I see is in clothing stores and shopping. There is also a weird little niche for kitchy american restaraunts, with busts of Marylin Monroe and murals of Route 66.

      Delete