Saturday, October 13, 2012

Castillos

Its a three day weekend here in Spain, Friday was Hispania day, celebrating Columbus discovering America.  Like Columbus day in the US, its not celebrated much, but everyone gets the day off which is nice, there is also a military parade, but I didn't make it to that.  Actually, we tried, but I discovered that riding a motorcycle in the rain is extremely exciting only for
the first 10 minutes while you can still feel your fingers.  Last weekend I visited the countryside!  Its not to far from here, we went by car and visited a number of castles.  Let me tell you, castles here are about a dime a dozen,  you can hardly turn a corner and there will be some 2000 year old fort.  Jeepers.  It was fantastic to get out for a while, and the countryside is lovely here.  

There are acres and acres of olive trees, which are beautiful and sculptural, also crocuses grow wild everywhere! They are beautiful flowers. These are the flowers whose stigmas are used to make saffron, the most expensive spice. I didn't pick any to roast, for you are supposed to gather in the morning, when its the least oily, then you have to dry it and its allowed to ferment slightlyI would like to try to make it sometime. 
By this castle there were a dozen 500 year old windmills that they used to make flour.  In Don Quixote he thinks that windmills are enemy nights, and he attacks them. 







I made Spanish Tortilla!
Mati in a Castle
























  I have made plans to go to Oslo for 4 days!  Its relatively easy to travel within Europe, and I want to take advantage of the opportunity while I can!  I have a friend studying in Norway, another who lives in Oslo, and hopefully I will be able to visit a few of our distant relatives.  I am also looking forward to the cold.  Who knew I would miss it so much?  When it rained yesterday I was over the moon.  Its October, but it doesn't feel like it here.        




No comments:

Post a Comment