Thursday, January 17, 2013

Ch-ch-ch-changes!

  In the spirit of Christmas we made holiday orange jack o lanterns.  This was my substitute for clove oranges and apples.  And I like showing off my orange carving skills.  They didn't believe me.
The other pictures are at my friend Mitra's house, he has the best view in the world, and we ate fruits that I have never seen before. Exciting.




 My friend Michaela, an Australian who lived in India and was Au-pairing in Spain left right before Christmas, much to my unhappiness. It was probably for the better though, we couldn't kick the habit of going out to eat in lovely yummy places that robbed our pocketbooks, if she stayed I would be broke. Delicious food though.  
After New Years an American friend that I met at Holden Village arrived 
 and we traveled to the south of Spain for a week, spending time in Toledo, Malaga (!) and Granada.  This brings me to my news! I am moving to Granada! Ben (the American friend) is volunteering at a Hostel and teaching English.  While we were there we learned that they were in need of another volunteer, and after thinking, checking out my options, getting loads of helpful
advice, and talking with my host family, I made the decision to move to Granada for two months.  After this I plan to travel to Italy and volunteer on farms, then return home to work for the summer.  There are a number of reasons I decided to go to Granada.
A. I love that city, its old, a mix of Moorish, Christan and Roman architecture and all around beautiful, more alternative too.
B. As great as my family and kids are here, most of my job is just driving and helping a bit with English, I don't feel like its challenging at all, and while it was good for a few months, I couldn't face half a year  more.
C.There is a British potter working just outside of Granada, and she says she could use some help in her studio while I'm there.  YAY!
D. I don't feel like I am leaving a lot here in Madrid, a number of my friends left before Christmas.  While there are a few people still here that I will really miss, I never found my niche here.  And the noise from the traffic drives me crazy.
E. Its easy to find a replacement Au Pair, I just finished skypeing with the one that will replace me.  The family has been very understanding, gracious, and wonderful about everything, they are fantastic people.
F. The hostel Intinere that I will be volunteering at is a really cool place, the owners have lot of ideas and they need people to do them!  There is lots of creativity, I may be able to lead some classes, help out their daily activities, lead tours, etc. Also at the hostel is an English school and Yoga studio.

So that's that! On the 26th I am moving! Here is my address until April for all who need it:
Grace Coffey
Itinere Hostel
C/ Natalio Rivas, No. 1
2a Planta
CP 18001 Granada, Spain
 
Please note the English spelling.  Delightful.  This was in the main Metro Station in Madrid

 

No comments:

Post a Comment